If you're like most Hudson Valley homeowners, then you likely picture an outdoor dining table every time you think of a pergola. And while that's a sure shot way for a beautiful and functional pergola space, there are numerous ways to dress up this dinning space or create other uses for this outdoor room.
Here are some ideas to inspire you to do something more with your pergola. If you don't have one yet, then read this article to help convince you to get one: 5 Reasons to Consider a Pergola.
- Create walls with curtains or bamboo shades. Either hang curtains and tie them to the four columns or use bamboo shades to cover two or three of the sides. The curtains will help create a romantic, intimate look and feel and the shades can accomplish the same as well help to to block some wind.
- Add strobe lights in the ceiling. We love to help homeowners get the most out of their outdoor spaces - and the best way to do that is to figure out comfortable ways to use the spaces in the night hours. Strobe lights not only softly brighten the space up, but are also stylish! Curtains and strobe lights together create relaxing, soft, and casual ambiance.
- Vertical garden. Add vegetation with a vertical garden around the columns or freestanding around the sides. You can also accomplish this with planters hanging from the pergola beams. Imagine ripping off some basil right before digging into your salad at your table under the pergola!
- Add a roof, but don't lose sunlight. You can go not waterproofing-style by adding plantings in between or over the pergola beams. Or, consider cover from the rain by having a more a sturdy solution such as plexiglass. Another option is to extend those curtains over the top, creating a tent effect.
- Make it an outdoor living room. Escape the dinning room completely! An outdoor tv or fireplace with comfortable couches are perfect alternatives to the usual outdoor dining space often found under a pergola.