Awesome! You are looking to expand your home's livable space beyond your back door.
Here in Dutchess County region—in communities such as Poughkeepsie, Lagrangeville, Pleasant Valley, Fishkill, and Hopewell Junction—outdoor living spaces are the perfect way to bring your family and friends together while enjoying the weather. But in order to ensure you will have a smooth design and installation experience—and you're able to enjoy your patio, outdoor kitchen, poolscape, and/or pergola for years to come—it's important to hire the right professional landscape contractor for your job. This can be challenging so be sure to block out the necessary time to do your homework—it will save you a lot of stress and money in the future.
So what exactly should you look for in a landscape contractor in the Poughkeepsie area?
For most landscape and pool projects here in the Hudson Valley, a qualified landscape design/build firm is the best choice. These types of projects generally include concrete paving stones—manufacturers like Unilock, Techo-Bloc, and Cambridge have extensive product catalogs—and/or a deck built from composite materials like Trex or Fiberon. That said, you want to hire a landscape firm that has extensive experience installing custom hardscapes and decking. Check their portfolio of work and be sure to also get references of past and current clients. Important certifications for paving stone and retaining wall installers include ICPI and NCMA, as well as manufacturer certifications like the Unilock Authorized Contractor Program and the Techo-Bloc program, Techo-Pro. The team at Harmony Hill Landscaping puts the upmost importance on education and we hold all of these certifications.
How do I compare estimates and landscaping companies?
When interviewing landscaping companies for your project, you will be faced with the challenge of comparing pricing, details of the design, and proposed quality. It is critical to ensure you are comparing apples to apples throughout this process. 9 times out of 10, if you have 3 estimates in front of you, and one is far lower priced than the others, this contractor is cutting corners and sacrificing the installation quality of your project to win the job. Do not fall into this trap as the price you will pay to repair the project later will far surpass doing it right the first time.
What questions should I ask potential Hudson Valley landscape contractors?
This helpful list of questions to consider was compiled by paving stone and retaining wall manufacturer, Unilock.
- How long have they been in the landscape business?
- Do they have liability insurance and are they covered by Workers’ Compensation?
- What landscape jobs have they done that are similar to what you need done?
- Do they have a list of references?
- What is their landscape training and background? How are their employees trained? Do they attend manufacturer training sessions?
- What warranty do they offer? Do the products they recommend have a warranty?
- Are there any permits required for this job? Whose responsibility is it to get these permits?
- Base preparation is a key factor in every paver and wall installation. Ask them about how they handle the base preparation.
- Drainage is also a key factor in every landscape job. Ask them how they plan to handle the drainage.
- What is their timeline for your project?
- What is their clean-up routine?
- Do they provide a written contract?
- What are their payment terms?
- Do they have a website?
Creating the landscape and outdoor living spaces for your home is a process that should result in a backyard that will bring years and years of memories and great times with your family and friends. Best sure to choose a landscape contractor that understands this and whose company is qualified to deliver.
Harmony Hill Landscaping in Fishkill, NY design and builds fine landscapes in Dutchess County, NY and the surrounding areas of the Hudson Valley.